History of the White Hart, Wolvercote
The White Hart is one of Wolvercote’s three surviving pubs and the earliest. Although there has been an inn on the site since the mid-17th century, it has been known by other names.
How do we know this? In the front bar an old and damaged framed hand-written script was found. It reads: "This is almost certainly the house or cottage which Robert Hall of Wolvercote, tailor, left to his nephew John Hall of Combe in 1749. By 1763 it was known as the Blue Man: in 1786 it was the Blue Boy. In 1821 it was the Green Man, held by J. Collier. The building was repaired between 1830 and 1832. In 1834 it was the White Hart pub with a wheelwright shop and a garden owned by Henry Hall."
It is likely that the building was constructed from stone from the ruins of Godstow Abbey, so thanks are perhaps due to Henry VIII, Thomas Cromwell and Oliver Cromwell for unwittingly providing this facility.